Friday, December 16, 2011


At the gate at Harvest Time
The fields are full at this crossroads.
The pond, covered with green scum, has its private life
No one coming for dinner here, except those who know the true power of algae
The sun belts a rebellious yell before fall descends
My child nurses at my breast as I write
Devine sacrament of all the ages of animals
We think we are not of them, with our motors and ink and ideas
But its milk that sustains.
Generation after generation of goats and pigs and humans
My son is here, and by goddess, he will drink
Sister bee comes calling again as we sit in a pile of grass and earth
I can still smell my blood and sweat and tears
Its only been six months, but you have made me a woman
Your little being, a harvest every day
You teach endurance and the endless ache of love
You are the lion I didn’t know was coming, but now can’t imagine ever being apart from you
You are my teacher. A reminder of flying things and sacrifice and god
We melt in the sun together under an unjudging sky
You touch the pages yet unwritten
Everything goes in the mouth.
Everything gives thanks
I give thanks, little one
For you, and all this is
I give thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alli love,

    Thank you for posting this beautiful poem . . . I love knowing more about your little bundle of inspiration. I added you to my blogroll.

    Much love,
    Mahfam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alli,
    I had no idea about your incredible gift of poetry! I love this poem!! Keep em coming....

    love,
    Konda

    ReplyDelete